Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Yeah, right.

Some things happened today that made me give some thought to how we appear to others.

My son and I went to the park to play basketball.  I made that one-in-a-million shot that got the ball wedged between the rim and the backboard.  We could not reach it, even with David on my shoulder, and I am proof that white guys can't jump. 

I remembered that I had an ax in the trunk of the car.  Now, the reason it was there was that the handle and the ax head had become separated from each other while I was doing some work to clean up the back yard after the June 29 storm.  I tried to put the ax head on a new handle, but could not get it on all the way because I lack the proper equipment.   I have been meaning to take it to the hardware store to ask them to finish the job.  A man riding his bike past the basketball court saw me with David carrying the ax.  You should have seen the look on his face.  I think he was going to say something, but I believe he saw the basketball wedged between the backboard and the rim.

I got the ball down and we continued playing.  We also had a frisbee and a baseball, so we played with those after we stopped playing with the basketball.  We played catch with the baseball.  I threw the ball to David once, and it bounced off his hand and hit him in the nose.  Honest, it was a very soft underhand toss.  I want him to learn how to catch a baseball barehanded before I get him a baseball glove.  Anyway, his nose started bleeding and we decided it was time to go home.

We pulled into the driveway just in time to see a man bleeding from the head onto our neighbor's lawn.  He was with three other people working on a tree in the neighbor's yard that had broken limbs hanging from it.  I don't know what happened, but he had a nasty gash on his eyebrow.  I told him it would need stitches.  One of the man's coworkers got a first aid kit from their truck, and the guy asked me for a glass of water.

After I gave the man some water, I got a collapsible chair out of my car and told him to sit.  He went back to work after he got bandaged up.  I went in the house to do some chores.  My collapsible chair was gone after the tree crew left.  Oh well, I didn't do as much as the orignial Good Samaritan, and got off cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment